A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but a rose with bugs is not so pleasant. Roses are beautiful, fragrant, and delicate flowers that can be damaged by pests such as aphids, mealybugs, and mites.
How To Keep Bugs Off Roses
Here is the complete process explained in detail on how to keep bugs off roses:
1. Remove any dead, diseased or damaged wood.
Use pruning shears to cut out dead wood and canes that have died back or are severely damaged. Make the cuts just above a bud or node, where there is new growth.
2. Thin out dense growth so plants are spaced 6 to 12 inches apart.
This will give your rose bush room to grow and help prevent disease problems in future years by allowing air circulation around all parts of the plant. It will also help you see where new growth is developing so you’ll know where to cut back in step 4 below.
3. Step 3
3. Apply an insecticide containing imidacloprid every 3 months from April through September (when insects are most active).
Imidacloprid works by attacking the nervous system of insects, causing paralysis and death with no harmful effects on mammals or birds when used as directed .
Tips for How To Keep Bugs Off Roses
Here are 5 things to take care of with respect to how to keep bugs off roses:
1. Roses are a favorite food source for aphids, thrips and mites. If you notice that your rose bush is infested with any of these bugs, take steps to get rid of them immediately!
Interesting Facts About Roses
Here are 5 things you should know about roses:
1. Roses are the most popular flower in the world.
2. The rose is also the national flower of England, Ireland, Bulgaria and Macedonia.
3. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet – roses are known by many different names around the world including: ‘rosebud’, ‘bouquet de violettes’ (French), ‘golab’ (Persian), ‘lataifa’ (Arabic), and ‘lily of the valley’ (English).
4. Roses are used to make perfume and rose water which can be used in cooking or added to a bath for its relaxing properties. Rose water has also been used as an aphrodisiac!
5. The rose is also a symbol of love and romance, especially on Valentine’s Day when it is customary for men to give their female partners a bouquet of red roses!